The August 2021 issue offers a look at the global expansion of LED volumes and a special focus on indie productions, as well as coverage of In the Heights and Black Widow, and profiles of AC’s 2021 Rising Stars of Cinematography. Here’s a look at this month’s slate:
- A map and roster of LED volumes across the world.
- Cinematographers Edu Grau, ASC, AEC; Aurélien Marra; and Paula Huidobro, AMC discuss their striking work on the respective indie features Passing, Two of Us and CODA.
- Cinematographer Alice Brooks, director Jon M. Chu and producer Lin-Manuel Miranda detail their collaboration on In the Heights.
- An examination of the aerial work that enhanced the cinematography of Gabriel Beristain, ASC, AMC, BSC on Marvel’s latest feature, Black Widow, on which Jeremy Braben of Helicopter Film Services served as aerial cinematographer.
AC spotlights its 2021 Rising Stars of Cinematography.
- Shot Craft: A guide to tracking and harnessing sunlight.
- In Memoriam: Society member John Bailey pens a tribute to Willy Kurant, ASC, AFC.
- Clubhouse News: The ASC welcomes Rob Hardy and Quyen “Q” Tran.
- Wrap Shot: Frederick Elmes, ASC and director Jim Jarmusch on location for the 2016 indie drama Paterson.