The November 2022
issue has special focuses on color correction
and independent production
, offering interviews with colorists Asa Shoul
and Andrew Daniel,
and observations from ASC members
who shot some now-famous indie films
. Also featured are coverage of the HBO series House of the Dragon
and the indie 5-25-77
; an interview with 2022 Camerimage Lifetime Achievement
honoree Stephen H. Burum, ASC
, and another with Polly Morgan, ASC, BSC
, including discussions about her work on Where the Crawdads Sing
and The Woman King
; reports on the films All Quiet on the Western Front
; and an update on the ASC MHL
and ASC FDL
- Cinematographers Fabian Wagner, ASC, BSC; Pepe Avila del Pino, AMC; Alejandro Martinez; and Catherine Goldschmidt — as well as showrunner/director Miguel Sapochnik and colorist Asa Shoul — detail their approach to HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel series House of the Dragon.
James Friend, ASC, BSC; director Edward Berger; and colorist Andrew Daniel discuss immersing the audience in the action for All Quiet on the Western Front.
- The 2022 EnergaCamerimage International Film Festival honors Stephen H. Burum, ASC for lifetime achievement.
Polly Morgan, ASC, BSC shares the creative strategies she applied to the features Where the Crawdads Sing and The Woman King.
- Director-writer Patrick Read Johnson discusses 5-25-77, an indie feature two decades in the making that was inspired by connections he made with the ASC and American Cinematographer when he was a teen in rural Illinois.
- ASC members Ernest Dickerson (She’s Gotta Have It), Frederick Elmes (Blue Velvet), Walt Lloyd (sex, lies, and videotape), David Klein (Clerks), Matthew Libatique (Pi), Wally Pfister (Memento) and Steven Poster (Donnie Darko) recall how they approached films that became milestones in their respective careers.
- Shot Craft: A look at two ASC MITC initiatives: the Media Hash List (MHL) and Framing Decision List (FDL).
- Global Village: K. Senthil Kumar, ISC discusses filming Indian superstars for RRR.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature new member Mike Gioulakis; Emmy winners Checco Varese, ASC and Gary Baum, ASC; the latest in-person ASC Master Class; dates and deadlines for the 37th Annual ASC Awards; the ASC and International Cinema Lighting Society panel in New York; and an ASC Education & Outreach luncheon with students from Nevada.
- Wrap Shot: The Beaulieu 4008 Super 8 camera.