The August 2022
issue features a special focus on this year’s Rising Stars of Cinematography
— as well as coverage of the series The Terminal List
; a piece on the family film Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
; a conversation with Jon Joffin, ASC
; and a look at the latest virtual-production
AC unveils this year’s Rising Stars of Cinematography: Veronica Bouza; Matthew Chuang, ACS; Michael “Cambio” Fernandez; Jomo Fray; Catherine Goldschmidt; Isiah Donté Lee; Christine Ng; Julia Swain; and Erin G. Wesley.
Armando Salas, ASC shares his strategies for shooting the Amazon Prime Video military-thriller series The Terminal List. Executive producer/pilot director Antoine Fuqua and episode director Ellen Kuras, ASC weigh in on their contributions to the show as well.
AC speaks with Marcell Rév, HCA about his approach to the HBO high-school drama Euphoria, which has incorporated both film and digital capture.
- Director of photography Bianca Cline and stop-motion director of photography Eric Adkins discuss Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, a feature-length adaptation of the popular short-film trilogy.
- Shot Craft: Three-time ASC Award winner Jon Joffin, ASC breaks down how he lit a remote location for the Netflix limited series Keep Breathing.
- The Virtual World: AC hit the floor at the 2022 NAB Show and spoke with virtual-production experts about the latest trends in the field.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature new member Christopher Norr; the “Stars of the ASC” tribute to the recently departed; lighting workshops and panel discussions at Cine Gear Expo; the American Film Showcase in Uganda with Christopher Chomyn, ASC; Digital Cinema Society honoree/ASC associate Frieder Hochheim; and the Society’s “Summer Splash.”
- Wrap Shot: Conrad L. Hall, ASC lights the way on the thriller Jennifer 8.