The October 2022 issue offers a special focus on horror cinematography — including reports on the features The Invitation, Men and Crimes of the Future, and the television series Yellowjackets; interviews with ASC members behind some of the genre’s iconic images; and tips for creating suspense. Delving into virtual production, the issue reports on the ambitious series 1899. Also featured is a piece on the award-winning short film Shadow Bird (Sonsi).
American Horror Story cinematographer Michael Goi, ASC, ISC introduces AC interviews with Autumn Eakin (The Invitation); Rob Hardy, ASC, BSC (Men); and Douglas Koch, CSC (Crimes of the Future) about their recent work in the horror genre.
Kim Miles, ASC, CSC, MySC discusses the Showtime survival drama Yellowjackets, on which he alternated episodes with Trevor Forrest. Cinematographer Julie Kirkwood breaks down her approach to the show’s pilot.
- ASC members Owen Roizman (The Exorcist), Luciano Tovoli (Suspiria), Daniel Pearl (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre), Dean Cundey (Halloween, The Thing), Charlie Lieberman (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer), Darius Khondji (Seven), Emmanuel Lubezki (Sleepy Hollow), Anthony Dod Mantle (28 Days Later …) and Sam McCurdy (The Descent) discuss the art of crafting chilling images.
- The Virtual World: AC takes a virtual tour of the set of the Netflix series 1899, a period mystery-thriller shot by Nikolaus Summerer that employed a custom-built LED volume with rotating stage at Studio Babelsberg in Germany.
- Shot Craft: Advice on how to create suspense with lighting, composition and camera moves.
- Short Takes: A look at Shadow Bird (Sonsi), directed and shot by Savita Singh, ISC.
- In Memoriam: A tribute to Thomas Richmond, ASC.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature new members Autumn Durald Arkapaw, Wolfgang Held and Blake McClure.
- Wrap Shot: Mario Tosi, ASC on Carrie.