The May 2023
issue presents coverage of Chevalier
— as well as a pictorial recap of the 37th Annual ASC Awards
, and profiles of Lifetime Achievement honoree Stephen Goldblatt, ASC, BSC
; International Award honoree Darius Khondji, ASC, AFC
; Career Achievement in Television honoree Fred Murphy, ASC
; and Presidents Award honoree Charlie Lieberman, ASC
. Also featured is a tribute to AMPAS Gordon E. Sawyer Award recipient Iain A. Neil
- In his monthly column, ASC President Stephen Lighthill reflects on a memorable and historic ASC Awards celebration.
Jess Hall, ASC, BSC breaks down his strategy for photographing Stephen Williams’ 18th-century drama Chevalier, including why he sought out experimental lenses from Panavision.
- A photo spread commemorates the 37th Annual ASC Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography, which marked a return to a ballroom celebration — and a historic moment for the Society.
ASC Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Stephen Goldblatt, ASC, BSC discusses how early success in still photography shaped his cinematography career.
ASC International Award recipient Darius Khondji, ASC, AFC reflects on his close collaborations with directors and why “finding the rhythm” of each project is so important.
ASC Career Achievement in Television Award recipient Fred Murphy, ASC recalls the path that led him from celebrated feature films to award-winning television.
ASC Presidents Award recipient Charlie Lieberman, ASC illuminates his role as one of Society’s most dedicated and active members.
- Shot Craft: Optical designer and ASC associate member Iain A. Neil receives the Gordon E. Sawyer Award, the Academy’s highest technical honor.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature a luncheon celebrating Mandy Walker, ASC, ACS and her historic ASC Award; Academy Award winner James Friend, ASC, BSC; an ASC Education & Outreach event for Loyola Marymount University; ASC panels at Cine Gear Expo NY; new Society members Patrick Capone and Mihai Malaimare Jr.; and the 5th Annual Kodak Film Awards.
- Wrap Shot: Amadeus, shot by Miroslav Ondricek, ASC, ACK.