The December 2022
issue has a special focus on the cinematographer-production designer collaboration
, offering interviews with the teams behind Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
; Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
; and The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
. This issue also looks at the feature Blonde
; the creative partnership of Mandy Walker, ASC, ACS
and Baz Luhrmann
; the importance of understanding production budgeting
; and the critical need for cinematographers and colorists
to confer at every stage of volume-based virtual production
- In his monthly column, ASC President Stephen Lighthill considers the importance support and encouragement play in professional success.
Autumn Durald Arkapaw, ASC reflects on the path that took her from independent filmmaking to Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, directed by Ryan Coogler. In a sidebar, production designer Hannah Beachler describes what made working with Arkapaw unique.
Darius Khondji, ASC, AFC and director/writer Alejandro G. Iñárritu detail their approach to the existential drama Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths, their first feature together. In a related article, production designer Eugenio Caballero discusses his work on the project.
Alex Disenhof, ASC breaks down how he and co-cinematographers Aaron Morton, NZCS and Óscar Faura, AEC executed the ambitious visual strategy for The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, while production designer Ramsey Avery discusses the directives he received from showrunners D. Payne and Patrick McKay.
Chayse Irvin, ASC, CSC shares some techniques he developed to create a chaotic canvas for Blonde, directed by Andrew Dominik.
- Picture Partners: Cinematographer Mandy Walker, ASC, ACS and director Baz Luhrmann discuss the creative kinship that began with a Chanel No. 5 campaign and led to the current box-office hit Elvis.
- Shot Craft: The ability to determine production necessities prior to a shoot can make or break a cinematographer’s career. Here’s how you can be better at budgeting your filmmaking requirements.
- The Virtual World: The Book of Boba Fett collaborators David Klein, ASC; ASC associate Steven J. Scott of Company 3; Felix Jorge of Narwhal Studios; and Jon Rocke of FotoKem explain the importance of controlling color at every stage of a volume-based virtual production.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature Jackson Wild Summit participants Stephen Lighthill, ASC and Paul Atkins, ASC; Evolution Mallorca film festival honoree Ed Lachman, ASC; and ICG ECA honorees Patti Lee, ASC and Lawrence Sher, ASC.
- Wrap Shot: You Only Live Twice