The August 2023 issue presents this year’s roster of AC’s Rising Stars of Cinematography, as well as a special focus on nonfiction filmmaking, including coverage of Angel City, Edge of the Unknown with Jimmy Chin, The Climb and Pretty Strong. We also take a close look at camera technology, including some unique vintage cameras collected by Richard Edlund, ASC.
- President’s Desk: New ASC President Shelly Johnson reflects on AC’s role in nurturing his passion for the craft.
AC shines its annual spotlight on the latest roster of Rising Stars of Cinematography: Nico Aguilar, AMC; Natalie Kingston; Christian “Tico” Herrera, CCR; Kate McCullough, ISC; Tinx Chan; Sade Ndya; Bradley Credit; Daisy Zhou and Htat Lin Htut.
- Director-cinematographer Arlene Nelson, ASC; co-cinematographers Emily Topper, Turner Jumonville, Yamit Shimonovitz and Sherri Kauk; and camera operator Domenic Zanghi discuss their collaboration on the HBO docuseries Angel City, about the birth of a National Women’s Soccer League club in Los Angeles.
- Filmmakers Jimmy Chin, Mikey Schaefer, Pablo Durana, Brett Lowell, Julie Ellison and Colette McInerney discuss the altitudinous art of climbing cinematography, including what motivates their choice of cameras.
- Cinematographer and visual-effects expert Richard Edlund, ASC reflects on his career, which encompasses four Academy Awards, three Academy Scientific & Engineering Awards, an Academy Medal of Commendation and the ASC Presidents Award, and shares some examples from his vintage camera collection.
- Shot Craft: What to consider when choosing an aspect ratio.
- The VFX Perspective: Visual-effects supervisor Stéphane Ceretti discusses the evolution of Rocket Raccoon in the Guardians of the Galaxy
- The Virtual World: AC surveys the scene of new trends in virtual production.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature new member Colin Hoult, ASC, CSC; the inaugural “Murphy Social,” named for the late Brianne Murphy, ASC; the annual “Summer Splash” BBQ; a Barco installation at the Clubhouse; and Cine Gear L.A.
- In Memoriam: AC remembers Tom Houghton, ASC.
- Wrap Shot: Gollum in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy, shot by Andrew Lesnie, ASC, ACS.