The April issue offers a special focus on lighting, with a piece on art that inspires and another on the lighting of WandaVision. We also present a look at a live-comedy shoot, a feature shot and released during the pandemic, and a cinematographer-director partnership — as well as a guide to lens testing and a report on the Society’s Future Practices Committee. See our full slate below:
- Society members Michael Goi, Ed Lachman, Natasha Braier and Kramer Morgenthau reveal the artists and works of art that have inspired their lighting and creative choices.
Jess Hall, ASC, BSC and director Matt Shakman discuss their homage to classic-sitcom lighting for WandaVision.
John Simmons, ASC on the Kevin Hart special he shot amid Covid protocols.
Marcell Rév, HCA on Malcolm & Marie, captured in black-and-white — and early in lockdown.
ASC President Stephen Lighthill and ASC Future Practices Committee co-chair and Society member Amelia Vincent offer their thoughts in AC’s report on the committee’s addressing of Covid-era challenges.
- Picture Partners: Joe “Jody” Williams and Craig Brewer on their collaboration that began on Empire and led to Coming 2 America.
- Shot Craft: “Generic” lens testing — a step-by-step guide.
- New Products and Services: Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC and daughter Francesca on their new line of LED fixtures, The Muses of Light.
- World View: A map of upcoming industry events and international news.
- In Memoriam: AC honors the memory of Society members Gerald Feil and Giuseppe Rotunno.