The December 2021
issue presents a focus on production design
, including features on Dune
, Last Night in Soho
and The Harder They Fall
— as well as a profile on Kramer Morgenthau, ASC
; coverage of Ghostbusters: Afterlife
; and a discussion on LED-wall colorimetry. Here’s a look at this month’s slate:
Greig Fraser, ASC, ACS discusses the techniques and collaborations involved in the creation of a desert planet for the epic sci-fi feature Dune, directed by Denis Villeneuve. The piece includes a sidebar on Fraser’s work with FotoKem colorist and ASC associate Dave Cole, who helped incorporate photochemical stages into the finishing process of this digitally captured movie.
AC details the career of Kramer Morgenthau, ASC and takes a look at two of his recent projects: the Aretha Franklin biographical musical drama Respect, directed by Liesl Tommy, and the crime drama The Many Saints of Newark, directed by Alan Taylor, which is a prequel to the acclaimed HBO series The Sopranos.
- Production-design spotlight: Cinematographer Mihai Malaimare Jr. and production designer Martin Whist discuss their collaboration on director Jeymes Samuel’s Western The Harder They Fall.
- Production-design spotlight: Cinematographer Chung Chung-hoon, production designer Marcus Rowland, director Edgar Wright and crew detail their work on the psychological horror Last Night in Soho.
- The Virtual World: Craig Kief, ASC; Mark Doering-Powell, ASC; ASC associate member Stephan Ukas-Bradley; and others collaborate on an examination of LED-wall color fidelity. The piece explores a number of LED-wall-specific lighting-supplement solutions as well.
- Picture Partners: Cinematographer Eric Steelberg, ASC and director Jason Reitman reflect on their eighth collaboration, the supernatural comedy Ghostbusters: Afterlife — which serves as a sequel to Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II, both directed by Reitman’s father, Ivan.
- Shot Craft: This month’s installment examines production designer Patrice Vermette’s influence on the look of Dune, and his creative partnership with Fraser.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature Alice Brooks’ invitation into ASC membership, and Society member Shana Hagan’s role as instructor for the ASC’s first Master Class on documentary cinematography.
- In Memoriam: AC remembers William “Bill” Taylor, ASC.
- Wrap Shot: An image from the set of the 1984 supernatural comedy Ghostbusters, shot by László Kovács, ASC.