The July 2021 issue offers a special focus on television and streaming series. Here’s a look at this month’s slate:
LED walls and virtual production for TV and streaming shows. Featured series include Station 19, shot by Daryn Okada, ASC — with the support of Sam Nicholson, ASC and the LED walls at his Stargate Studios. Also covered is the in-camera visual-effects component of the upcoming Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery.
Crescenzo Notarile, ASC, AIC’s work on Season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery, plus a special section on Crescenzo and some of his early projects.
- Cinematographers Dan Stoloff (The Boys) and John Grillo (Snowpiercer) on shooting sci-fi.
- ASC members Checco Varese, Xavier Grobet and Suki Medencevic discuss their work on the horror anthology series Them.
- Five cinematographers share their motivations and preferred techniques that have given distinctive flavors to their respective TV productions. Included are Jeffrey Jur, ASC (Bridgerton); Todd A. Dos Reis, ASC (Rebel); Romain Lacourbas, ASC, AFC (ZeroZeroZero); Nicole Hirsch Whitaker (Jupiter’s Legacy); and David Rom (Ted Lasso).
- Shot Craft: Society members Patti Lee and Gary Baum on shooting multi-camera television series.
- Short Takes: Cinematographer Katharine White and director Foster Wilson on the short-form production Dame.
- In Memoriam: AC honors the life and work of Isidore Mankofsky, ASC.
- Clubhouse News: Canon’s Larry Thorpe reflects on his career; the ASC welcomes new members Romain Lacourbas, Boris Mojsovski and Richard Vialet; ASC Clubhouse Conversations wins Telly Award.
- Wrap Shot: A-camera operator (and future ASC member) Lowell Peterson and crew on the set of the 1987 pilot for Star Trek: The Next Generation.