The May issue offers a special focus on commercial cinematography, as well as a feature story on Society member Charlotte Bruus Christensen’s “rethinking” of Black Narcissus. Presented as well are the first installment of our new virtual-production department, career insights from ASC members, a piece on the future of film, and a Romanian filmmaking duo’s documentary collaboration. Here’s a look at this month’s slate:
Charlotte Bruus Christensen, ASC on photographing and directing Black Narcissus.
Peter Moss, ASC, ACS shares his wisdom on shooting commercials.
- Mentorship-focused ASC members Bill Dill, Henner Hofmann, Charles Minsky and Amelia Vincent offer career advice and counsel. Plus a report on the ASC Vision Mentorship Program, featuring remarks from Patti Lee, ASC — and another on Dialogues With ASC Cinematographers, a program spearheaded by George Spiro Dibie, ASC.
Acasa, My Home documentarians Radu Ciorniciuc and Mircea Topoleanu follow a Romanian family’s exodus from the wilderness.
- Film Forward: The first entry in a multi-part series examining the future of film capture.
- Shot Craft: Paul Cameron, ASC; Christopher Probst, ASC; and Zoë White, ACS discuss commercial trends and techniques.
- The Virtual World: The debut installment of our new department reinforces AC’s longstanding commitment to exploring virtual production from a cinematographer’s perspective.
- In Memoriam: AC remembers the lives and work of Society members Judy Irola and John C. Hora.
- Clubhouse News: The Society welcomes associate member Andrew Tiffen and Jody Lee Lipes, ASC. Mandy Walker ASC, ACS keynotes HPA Tech Retreat.
- Wrap Shot: An image from the 1947 Technicolor classic Black Narcissus, shot by Jack Cardiff, BSC.