The March 2023
issue offers coverage of Creed III
, The White Lotus
— as well as a reconsideration of inverse-square law
, a cornerstone of the cinematographer’s craft. Also presented are a special feature on the use of plate photography in an LED volume
on the indie Sympathy for the Devil
and a spotlight on new products designed for virtual production
- In his monthly column, ASC President Stephen Lighthill ponders virtual production, artificial intelligence and the future of cinematography.
Kramer Morgenthau, ASC and director-star Michael B. Jordan discuss taking Adonis “Donnie” Creed back into the ring for Creed III.
The White Lotus creator-director Mike White and frequent collaborator Xavier Grobet, ASC, AMC detail their approach to the series’ second season, which was shot in Italy.
Michał Dymek, PSC visualizes a resilient donkey’s remarkable journey for EO, directed by Jerzy Skolimowski.
- Cinematographer Steven Holleran and director Yuval Adler explain how they used an LED-wall stage and plate photography to situate extensive driving scenes on the streets of Las Vegas for Sympathy for the Devil.
- Global Village: Director Frances O’Connor and cinematographer Nanu Segal, BSC discuss creating a poetic handheld aesthetic for the period drama Emily.
- Shot Craft: Inverse-square law gets an update thanks to ASC associate member Tim Kang.
- Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature new members Ari Wegner, Todd Banhazl, William Rexer II, Andrew Droz Palermo and Jean-Marie Dreujou, and coverage of ASC MITC’s “Lens Days 2022.”
- New Products and Services: The monthly department features a special focus on virtual-production technologies, along with other filmmaking-product launches.
- Wrap Shot: Rocky, shot by James Crabe, ASC.